Monday, July 9, 2007

Gmat Day

Gmat day was today!

Started off at 8.00am (test at 10.00am), had a light breakfast of eggs and a muesli. Intentionally avoided anything too oily or salty. Although I didn't want to drink any coffee (as I had half a can of red bull), I decided that I should just stick to my daily habit and had half a cup of coffee.

Headed for the test center at 9.00am, reached there at 9.15am, parked the car, walked in.... and found the test center closed. To my horror, there was absolutely nobody around and all the doors were locked. Checking with the company opposite the test center, apparently there are days when the test center doesn't open. So, naturally, I started to freak (although I tried to calm myself down). Waited until 9.30am and decided to check with the building's management and try to get a contact number. However, apparently the test center was new, so the building management didn't have an emergency contact.

So there I was, sitting by the steps wondering what on earth I should do. I was mentally drafting an email to Pearson VUE regarding their choice of test centers and demanding a free re-sit. Started to look through the GMAT receipt printout when I came across another number. Called the number and got the HQ for the test center company. A few calls later, and apparently the test center administrator wasn't around but they would send somebody over to set everything up for me. Adverted pressing the panic button, but I had to get my emotions and mental mindset into check for the GMAT (not to mention I had begun to sweat).

The guy comes around at 10.00am sharp, I wanted to make some nasty comments, but decided not to get emotional. In my mind, I had decided if I scored badly, I was going to write to Pearson VUE to demand a re-sit anyway.

So first up, AWA. Go through it (I neglected my AWA since last taking the GMAT). Managed to go through, taking 15 minutes per question. Was more concerned about how I would perform mentally for the Quant/Verbal.

Take a break, finish up my red bull. And head in for the Quant.... quant sucked. The questions seemed easy, and I was really getting nervous about that. Was I screwing up so badly that the GMAT was giving me questions from the 400 - 500 range? I felt doomed. Finished the quant section with 15 minutes spare....

Took my break and started wishing that I had brought more red bull and snacks to eat.... took the verbal. Verbal seemed easy too. I started to contemplate canceling my score when I was done with the exam. There wasn't anything exceptional about the verbal section, just my wondering whether I would even get more than the 650 I scored last time.

GMAT done. I sat there for 30 seconds wondering whether I should cancel my score. I decided against it because I really didn't know when I would be able to take the exam again. And heck, if I screwed up, I could always reschedule it once again when I had a proper date, besides I was curious about my score - how badly would I score given the circumstances.

Q 48 (86%)
V 40 (90%)
710 (94%)

Yup. I did it, broke the 700. Started to laugh, must have made a bit of noise because the test center guy asked me whether I had done well.

So, that's it, I scored a 710. I'm done for good with the GMAT. Finally, I can move on without anymore nightmares or fears of being rejected for having too low a score.

p/s Manhattan GMAT was the most accurate indicator of my score. During my first time, Manhattan GMAT gave me 640s when I scored a 650. GMAT Prep only gave a 610 and a 620. This time round, Manhattan GMAT gave me a 700 and a 650, where as GMAT Prep only gave me a 670 and a 680.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you test?

tinydancer said...

I'm pretty sure all the practice tests out there, except the official ones, under-estimate your score. Otherwise they'd risk making you overconfident, and then you wouldn't recommend them to others! I scored a full 100 points higher than my Princeton Review practice test!

Anonymous said...

Malaysia.

Are you around there as well? Or in Singapore?

Unknown said...

wannabe, I'm so happy for you :-)
great score, congrats!

Amu said...

Hey Congratulations! And wish you all the luck for subsequet rounds:)

T- Rex

-tvu said...

Sweet~!

Dew said...

Hey congrats for the score!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read your blog fully the previous one and now am back to your round two ..thanks for dropping by to my blog :D .....
unique!!!!!!!! yeah its difficult to write all this stuff...

RunningTurtle said...

Hearty congratulations. you tamed the beast.

Deepthroat said...

Congrats dude...you have an awesome score with both sides equally weighed.....

Now GMAT can never be ur worry

vectorSpace said...

Great score, Wannabe! I like your never-give-up stance. Round 2: Essays and Recommendations :)

Zephyr said...

Congrats!...One of the most painful things in this whole apping process is off your chest!:)

Achilles said...

congrats wannabe, for a wonderful score!!
congratulations!!

Janet Nakano said...

What a great post- suspenseful too! And great score! Congrats!

Achilles said...

Thanks wannabe for the comment -- u got a very good score in the GMAT..congrats dude

globetrotter said...

Congrats on joining the 700+ club. I'm a newbie to the league of bloggers and enjoy reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!

I took Gmat last week and didn't do that gr8 , got 470. I was wondering if any of u wud suggest which book or material I shud go for.Please email me any material at jpsbedi@hotmail.com. I struggled in english the most and need some assistance.
Thx
Jas

Anonymous said...

Hi Jas,
I suggest u buy the manhattan series for verbal practice. Also buy the the additional verbal review volume. If you can get hold of Scoretop sets (i think there are around 30 of them), you are done!!! All the best preparing for the GMAT!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the post. I was wondering about two points: 1) which types of review materials give you the most accurate predictor; and 2) should I drink a Red Bull?.

preeti said...

Good Score congrats.. Those students aiming to get admit in a Top B-School and they should score good. Because most of the Top B-Schools only consider those students who have passed the GMAT exam with good score.

Best Regards
Online Sentence Correction