Saturday, July 21, 2007

Early Action/Decision


Comment that was left:

What's your view on renegging (renaging?) on Early Decisions, since you are applying to more than one? What if you get into HBS and CBS/Tuck-ED?

Tuck's Early Action round is as follows:

For reapplicants or prospective students who have completed their business school research and know that Tuck is their first choice, the Early Action round is a great option. Early Action provides you with the certainty of learning that you have been offered admission to Tuck by no later than December 14, 2007. This offer is nonbinding, giving you the opportunity to explore other options up until the January 2008 response deadline. Any applicant who is accepted in the Early Action round and who would like to secure a spot in the incoming class will be required to submit a nonrefundable deposit of $3,500 by January 7, 2008, which is applied against tuition.

And Columbia's famous $6000 Early Decision round:

As an Early Decision candidate to Columbia Business School, I understand that if I am admitted I will submit my non-refundable $6000 deposit to secure my place in the September entering class. I am committed to attending Columbia Business School, and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.


Tuck's early action round is to notify applicants of whether they have been successful admitted or not. Fortunately, Tuck's is a non-binding EA. Columbia's ED however, is a binding agreement where successful applicants are required to withdraw their applications to other schools. Given that I'm not HBSing now, I guess there's no worry :) If I get accepted to Tuck and Columbia, that might prove tricky, but I will honour my agreement with Columbia and head off to Columbia (if Tuck provides full tuition etc, then I really would be hard pressed). But that scenario is unlikely to occur.

But, I would love to get accepted at EA/ED round :) Heck, I would love to get just accepted.

1 comment:

aditya said...

Do you know how long we have after we get the Columbia ED admit to pay the deposit. I am applying for both Harvard and Columbia.