Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Investment banking here I come!

However, not to do any of that sexy investment banking and finance stuff... but instead, to do advertising and promotions for the bank.

I rejected the bank's first offer to do private banking as I was not comfortable in a sales position and was not confident of being able to bring in the money and being a top performer as I do not have the necessary networks and contacts. My performance would be compared against people with an existing client base. So since I am not confident of being a top performer, then why take the job? My belief is simple, if you're going to do something, you better aim to be a top performer, or else don't take the job.

So I shared my feelings, and my ambitions to do corporate finance or return to advertising and marketing. Lo and behold, the bank decided to offer me an advertising and promotions position.

i) Small start-up department - easier recognition, easier communications with the top management and more opportunities to take on different projects

ii) Investment bank - comes with the benefits I would be getting at any other bank

iii) Job scope - something that interests me...

So I'm off!

I'm a bit depressed that I'm only hitting 70% for my Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning. I definitely need to push it up to the 85% mark.

3 comments:

ipoel said...

hey congrats on the job! on the blushing MBA.. no I haven't read it but I've heard of it.. have u read it? is it good?

Unknown said...

Hey there! My background is in advertising too (although after a couple of months I realized that advertising is not exactly what I wanna do), but if you're hooked on it, you'll do very very well there.

Good luck on the new job!

Don't sweat too much about the SC (hint: try to read the Manhattan GMAT SC guide).. as for the CR.. the 1000 CR is a good start! All the best!

Achilles said...

hey, congrats for getting into IB...btw i am also preparing for the Gmat....for SC you chould definitely try using Manhattan's SC book and for CR even Kaplan premier and OG will do....All the best and keep in touch