Thursday, November 8, 2007

I've started wondering about the Chicago PPT "essay". Four slides or less to capture who I am.

I've done this sort of thing before, well, not exactly. But I've created a 45 second video clip that showed who I am. But, I've got minimal experience with PPT and am a bit stuck.

Should I use pictures as much as possible? Maybe a bit like Picture Scrabble? But I'm sure the other five thousand odd applicants are also busy copy/pasting little cute pictures. But really, I think what GSB is trying to push here is not only how creative can you get, but maybe, also how relevant can you be.


1. It's not relevant to stick a picture a church and talk about your risk taking abilities.

But it's relevant to post two Playboy bunnies and say how much you believe in relationship building and live on the edge.

2. It's not relevant to use a picture of a Volkswagon and discuss your drive for success.

Please use a souped up Ferrari at least when you talk about being a Big Swinging Dick.

3. Don't post happy pictures of Hello Kitty and mention your hobbies.

Do post a picture of a stack of chips and a hand of hold'em poker. Mention that you're doing your CFA Level 3 because you had some spare time on the weekends.

4. Unless you suspect the ad coms are into him,insert a picture of Tom Jones and discuss your family ties.

Instead, a photoshopped picture of your family and Li Ka Shing/Lakhmi Mittal/Warren Buffet and talk about how Uncle has always mentioned he'll make a donation to the school that accepts you would be perfect.

5. You're unique. Don't use a standard picture of you in a suit. They've seen that a million times.

Nothing would differentiate you posing like you're going to hit a drug fuelled orgy. Remember, Chicago GSB enables career changers and is happy to accept people from non-traditional backgrounds!


If you follow my suggestions and don't get admitted, hit them back, they're holding out on you. :)

No comments: