Thursday, August 23, 2007

To date, my recommenders have been very accommodating. I selected my two former supervisors and told them a month ago of my plans and intentions. One of them bluntly asked me why I wasn't applying to Harvard! :(

So, taking that situation into consideration, chance are that I will be applying to Harvard. :)

Anyhow, recommender management is a must in the application process. I'm sure that there are plenty of posts detailing on the information to give to the recommender, guidance and such. However, I think the most important actions that I took were

i) the Golden Rule: Informing MBA friendly recommenders as early as possible - meaning, before I even started filling up the application form. In fact, my former supervisor has known for the past 2 years that I want to pursue an MBA. Prep your recommenders subtly before hand - gauge to whether they think there is a value in getting an MBA. You don't really want to have a recommender that thinks that MBAs are a waste of time.

ii) Bite the bullet and don't be shy about asking them to be your recommender. Maybe I'm it's cultural because I'm Asian, but I felt a bit apprehensive about asking them for help. Take them out for lunch or dinner when you talk to them about it - I mean, if you're going to ask for your help, you may as well do it in a nice comfortable manner. Don't just call them up and ask them to be your recommender. But take them out and talk to them.

iii) Provide guidance. As in a sample recommendation. Some recommenders have never seen the MBA recommender's form before and may not know how to complete it. Suggest how they might fill it up, and ask them if they have the time, to give examples when appropriate.

iv) It's a pain to have to remind recommenders to complete the recommendation. Do it progressively. And here it becomes even more important to have notified them way ahead of time. Maybe for the first time you could say, "How's the recommendation coming along? I'm thinking of submitting everything end of the month." Then as the day draws closer, you can hint by saying "Oh, I'm submitting it next week. Has it been completed? Would you like to discuss any issues?"

v) When ever possible, discuss things face to face. Not via emails, not over the phone. Even though I've known one of my recommenders for 14 years, I'm still taking him out for a lunch to discuss things.

vi) Don't write your own recommendation. But discuss what issues they may face when doing your recommendation. Be open to discussing specific questions if they bring it up. If your recommender is truly out to help you, s/he will bring out outstanding points about your performance and discuss them with you. My recommender brought up my performance for a proposal that I had forgotten, but apparently my performance had impressed him well enough.

Can't really remember anything else that I've been doing with my recommenders except spending face to face time with them.

Oh, pay for the meal. :)

3 comments:

Jaguar Paw said...

I wouldnt pay for the meal. That would mean a bribe :))

Subrat said...

Recommendations on course!!! Congrats buddy. Best wishes.

Janet Nakano said...

Great info! I think it's a great idea to take the sup out for lunch and to be open/honest about your goals. One other thing that could help is to put together a memo of info for your recommender. This could include schools you're applying to, deadlines, points you'd like him/her to highlight, examples of times you exhibited leadership skills, etc. It just gives that person more information to work with.

keep us posted!