Monday, April 23, 2007

I have been invited to join an investment bank to do Private Client sales - sales to high networth individuals. Being a sales job, it will be target revenue driven with few (?) opportunities to develop into a more strategic position, withstanding that I don't become the sales director, then my career will forever revolve around closing the next sale.

Honestly speaking, I'm not too comfortable with doing cold hard sales. Yes, I can talk and build the relationship, but I'm horrible at closing the deal or pushing products. It makes me feel funny when I build the relationship only with the intention of chalking up another deal. I would rather build the relationship because I am genuinely interested in the person as a person and not a sales target.

On the other hand, it would be an opportunity to learn new products and skills and have a bit of career progression. I think I shall try and renegotiate the job scope to place emphasis on other areas such as team management and support vs. an out and out sales job.

GMAT is coming along slowly, 30% improvement compared to 5 months ago for my Sentence Correction. I hope this holds up.

3 comments:

Rico's Mom said...

Hi Wannabe!

Thanks for the post on my blog! In terms of giving advice...seriously the only thing I did different the second time around was remain calm and keep up my confidence prior to the exam. The week before taking the exam I would do a few problems every night and I was getting most problems correct so I went in much more confident this time.

And during the exam, I didn't panic when I thought the questions were too easy and that I must be doing terrible! I just attriubuted those random easy questions to a possible experimental question and moved on. And when I couldn't answer a question I didn't keep at the question for too long, I guessed between the two possible answers I had deduced and moved on. And I didn't panic over that either, also attributed it to a possible experimental question.

Seriously, what made it so much better this time around was remaining calm with zero anxiety and stress. And I do believe that taking the alotted breaks and snacking on some peanut M&M's kept me alert and focused! I am forever indepted to Peanut M&M's!

Good luck to you! I wish you all the best!

Anonymous said...

I'm still wearing training diapers. 8[

Anonymous said...

good look on ur gmats. I admire you!